Policies and Procedures

Ironwood is bound by the Education Services for Overseas (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code to enable international students to have a safe, enjoyable and rewarding experience during their stay in Australia. It promotes quality education and provides consumer protection for overseas students. Ironwood claims its high standards through registration on Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS Number 03039E).

In order to offer courses to international students on a student visa Ironwood is required to:

  • Be CRICOS registered
  • Meet quality assurance standards
  • Tuition Protection Scheme requirements
  • Meet the obligations of registered provider
  • Report students who do not comply with student visa conditions to Department of Education (DOE)/Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Please refer to ESOS Framework for further information at the Australia Education International website.

International Student Responsibilities

Your responsibilities as an international student are imposed on you by the conditions of your student visa.

The below summary of information should be read in conjunction with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website and Ironwood’s Policies. While it is your responsibility to ensure that you comply with your visa conditions, Ironwood must also monitor your enrolment and notify DIBP of any breaches. DIBP may cancel your student visa if you are found to have breached your visa conditions.

Your responsibilities include:

  • maintaining enrolment and course progress
  • achieving satisfactory academic progress
  • paying fees on time
  • notifying Ironwood of any change of address
  • maintain visa length Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).

Pre-departure Information

Pre-departure preparation includes:

Travel arrangements: Book your ticket as soon as possible to obtain better rates and avoid the last minute rush.

Travel insurance: See if your ticket provides you with insurance for yourself and your luggage, otherwise you may need to think of getting insurance for your journey.

Luggage bags: Buy better quality, light luggage bags with locking facility. Keep items handy which you are to declare to Customs and Quarantine. Also label your luggage clearly and keep a copy of your contact details inside it.

Personal effects: Carry adequate clothing as per the climate of the place of your campus. Do not bring food items animal products or plant products as most of them are not allowed entry into Australia. Food, animal or plant products are required to be declared on your passenger card.

Medicines: Medicines with doctor prescription may be allowed for a short duration. They are to be declared on you passenger card.

Passport size photographs: You may require some photographs on your arrival and carrying your latest photographs may help you.

Personal documents: Bring original or certified copies of your academic transcripts including IELTS, work reference, birth certificate, letter of offer and eCoE, and copy of your visa application documents. Documents not in English should have a translated copy in English. Translation of a document page may cost you over 35 AUD.

Other documents: Collect your passport with visa issue letter, airline ticket and health insurance details.

Money: You must bring enough Australian currency in cash to meet your initial expenses and have access to 2000 AUD to 3000 AUD in traveller’s cheque/bank drafts in your name.

Bringing others bags: Never bring other’s items or bags as they may contain something illegal. If you do so, you will be held accountable for it.

Keep your enrolment letter, eCOE and contact details of your international office of education provider with you at all times once you have boarded your flight.

Life in Australia guide – View the guide here.

Beginning a Life in Australia guideView the guide here.

Advice on arrival in Australia:

Insiders Guide to Adelaide please download this great guide here (14.2MB)

Incoming passenger card: Read it carefully and enter correct details. In case of doubt seek assistance from the Custom or Quarantine officer on duty. Follow the red or green channel as per your declaration on the card.

Duty free goods: Visit www.customs.gov.au

Quarantine matters: Visit Customs & Quarantine for information on bringing food items, medicines and animal products into Australia.

Permissible limit: For latest information visit www.customs.gov.au