Living expenses in Adelaide

Source –

When you live and study away from home, it can be easy to spend your savings quickly, so it is also a clever idea to prepare a budget to help you manage your expenses.

The Department of Home Affairs (DOHA) has financial requirements you must meet in order to receive a student visa for Australia. As of October 2019 the 12-month living costs are;

For students or guardians – AUD$21,041

  • For partners coming with you – AUD$7,362
  • For a child coming with you – AUD$3,152

These costs do not include the expenses associated with course(s) fees at Ironwood Institute

Typical ongoing expenses you may incur:

  • Utility payments e.g. electricity, gas and telephone, monthly or every three months
  • Living expenses e.g. rent, food, transport, entertainment, weekly
  • Educational expenses e.g. photocopy, printing, stationery etc.
  • Unexpected expenses e.g. return home, family visits, health costs not covered by overseas student health cover.

The costs below are an approximate guide only. Students should be aware that these costs can vary depending on your location and lifestyle.


  • Hostels and Guesthouses – $90 to $150 per week
  • Shared Rental – $85 to $215 per week
  • On campus – $90 to $280 per week
  • Homestay – $235 to $325 per week
  • Rental – $165 to $440 per week
  • Boarding schools – $11,000 to $22,000 a year

Other living expenses

  • Groceries and eating out – $80 to $280 per week
  • Gas, electricity – $35 to $140 per week
  • Phone and Internet – $20 to $55 per week
  • Public transport – $15 to $55 per week
  • Car (after purchase) – $150 to $260 per week
  • Entertainment – $80 to $150 per week

All costs are per year in Australian dollars. To convert to your own currency, visit

The Australian Government provides information and guidance on managing your finances. You can read more at

The ‘Insider Guides Cost of Living Calculator’ is also a useful tool to help estimate your cost of living  in Australia

Please refer to StudyAdelaide  for detailed information on living options and associated costs

If you experience financial trouble while in Australia, talk to Ironwood student support staff for assistance.