What is Tuition Protection Service (TPS)?

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) is an initiative of the Australian Government to assist international students whose education providers are unable to fully deliver their course of study. For further details please refer to Tuition Protection Service website www.tps.gov.au

How can I obtain credit transfer or RPL?

You can apply for credit transfer or recognition of prior learning (RPL) by filling in the Course Credit/RPL application form at the time of enrolment. You will need to show original transcripts to obtain course credit. The manager administration will finalise your application for course credit or RPL within one week of enrolment. Duration of your course will be adjusted based on the course credit granted and COE adjusted accordingly.

Do I get my tuition fee reduced for the units transferred through course credit or RPL?

Normally, Ironwood reduces the fee for the units transferred through course credit or RPL. However, administration fee may be charged for it.

How can I know my academic results?

The academic results are prepared within four weeks of term ending. The students can view their course progress at Ironwood web portal or meet the Director Academic to see their results and appeal if they are not satisfied with the results.

Can I get my assessment reviewed if I am not satisfied with my result?

You can apply for review of your assessment free of cost.

How many times can I re-sit to pass my unit of competency?

You will be allowed one re-sit for each unit without fee if you were sick on the day of your assessment and submit medical certificate as an evidence.

How can I obtain my certificate of qualification?

You are eligible to receive your transcripts, certificates of attainment and course completion letter if you have successfully completed your course and paid all the fees.

Can I defer or suspend my studies?

Yes, you may do so by making an application supported by documentary evidence. Please note suspending or deferring will temporarily delay or postpone your studies and may affect your student visa. Manager Administration will decide your application on its merit as per our policy.

Under what circumstances can I apply for deferment or suspension?

You will be required to provide evidence for compelling or compassionate circumstances warranting deferment or suspension of your studies.

Reasons for granting deferment or suspension while studying. Students can apply for temporarily deferring or suspending their studies when:

There are genuinely compelling or compassionate circumstances. Compelling or compassionate circumstances include, but are not limited to:

  • Serious injury or illness where the medical certificate states the student was unable to attend classes.
  • Bereavement or serious illness of a close family member( where possible, a death certificate need to be provided; political upheaval or natural disaster in the home country requiring emergency travel and this has impacted on the student studies; and
  • A traumatic experience such as being involved in a serious crime or accident. All such cases need to be supported by police or psychologist reports.

Please note even if medical and other supporting documents are provided the student cannot be guaranteed a suspension or deferment of studies. The air ticket may be purchased after your request for deferment or suspension has been granted.

Do I need a work permit?

With effect from 26 April 2008 all student visas will be granted with work rights attached. Please note that you are permitted to work after you have commenced your studies.

Under this, student visa information is stored electronically for access through the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) service, which will allow you to view your visa details online. Employer, government agencies and education providers have also access to check your current details after obtaining your consent.

What are my work rights?

Your student visa allows you to work for 20 hours a week when your session is on and unlimited work hours during authorised term break.

What do I need to do if I change my residential address, phone (mobile or landline) or email address?

As per your visa conditions 8533 you are required to update your contact details with Ironwood within 7 days of change. You can do this by filling up a change of address form at reception or on Ironwood online portal.

What should I do when I am unable to attend my class due to sickness?

You must seek medical advice by seeing a Doctor and obtain a medical certificate. The medical certificate must state your medical condition and the period during which you are unfit to attend the classes. It is advisable to inform Ironwood as soon as possible.

If I am unable to pay my fee on due date what do I do?

You must contact the Manger Administration one week before the due date to negotiate an extension to save you from penalty for late fee payment or reporting you for non compliance.

If I have a complaint or appeal to make, what I do?

We at Ironwood encourage our students to make complaint or appeal as the case may be. The detailed procedure is given in the student hand book. For further details contact Student Contact Officer during the office hours.

Where I can access more information?

You can access information at the following links:

Is the personal information collected from the student secured?

The College collects information on all forms and during your enrolment to meet its obligations under the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000 and the National Code 2007; and to ensure student compliance with the conditions of their visas and their obligations under Australian immigration laws in general. The authority to collect this information is contained in the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000, the Education Services for Overseas Students Regulations 2001and the National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2007. Information collected about you on this form and during your enrolment can be provided, in certain circumstances, to the Australian Government and other designated authorities. In other instances this information can be disclosed without your consent where authorized or required by law.

For further information on choosing a training or education provider please refer to Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) Fact sheet.